Subject: Report of the annual conference and business meeting
Dear AGLSP Members,
I am pleased to report yet another successful annual conference, Place Matters, in San José, California. Linda Paulson and Michelle Bennett were outstanding hosts, presenting an excellent program with 130 attendees and guests including 54 student and faculty speakers. Please follow this link to the post-conference survey to give us your feedback:https://duke.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_7OH5KarzMTgUwkd. Your feedback helps us plan the next conference.
At the 2015 Annual Business Meeting, the following matters were addressed:
- We thank outgoing board members John Freeman (Rice University) for his leadership on the membership committee, Tim Boylan (Winthrop University) for serving as Treasurer, and Marylu Hill (Villanova University) for her service as member at large. The membership voted in new board members Michael Garval (North Carolina State University) as Treasurer and John Logie (University of Minnesota), Wole Ojurongbe (Dartmouth University), and Rebecca Sharp Sanchez (Rice University) as members at large.
- The membership voted to approve changes to the AGLSP constitution that eliminate two levels of institutional membership (full and associate) and replace those with one level of institutional membership with all privileges. These changes will become active January 1, 2016.
- Under the direction of Editor Gary Swaim and web consultant Damien Ydoyaga, Confluence successfully made the transition from paper to online format (http://www.aglsp-confluence.org/). Web analytics indicated 218 visits to the web page and 850 page views during the first two days the new issue was available. During 2015 we also created an Editorial Board which serves to assist with manuscript review and selection of the Confluence Writing Award winners.
- AGLSP is now in a position to continue the process of increasing the vitality and viability of Confluence by initiating systematic procedures for filling the roles of editor and editorial board. The Executive Board will post an open call for applications for the position of Editor of Confluence by November 25. Applications will be due January 15, decision to be made by March 15. Faculty members interested in serving on the Editorial Board should contact the AGLSP office.
- Confluence Awards for the 2014 calendar year were announced:
- Kristy Anne Wells nominated by John Freeman, Rice University, Excellence in Creative Writing
- Matthew David Arnold nominated by Donna Zapf, Duke University, Excellence in Interdisciplinary Writing
Nominations for the 2016 Confluence Writing Awards will be accepted until January 31, 2016.
Click here for the guidelines.
- Nominations for the 2016 Annual Faculty Award are now open. Guidelines can be found here. We congratulate the recipient of the 2015 award, Professor Francis J. Ambrosio (Georgetown University).
- Responding to requests from the membership, AGLSP has created a listserv for institutional members (email@example.com) and a Facebook page that members and students and friends are welcome to join(https://www.facebook.com/groups/AGLSP/).
- At last year’s meeting, AGLSP approved the creation of a student honor society. At this year’s meeting Michele Mrak released the procedural details about institution and AGLSP roles in creating an honors society on your campus. More information can be found at here.
- Finally, the AGLSP Executive Board instituted Student Presentation Awards to be decided at the annual conference. The winners of the 2015 presentation will be announced shortly.
- The annual conference continues to be a highlight of membership in the AGLSP. In addition to gaining useful information in running your programs and exploring provocative session topics, networking with fellow directors is invaluable. Please plan to join us next year in Oklahoma City, October 20-22, 2016, as we explore Tradition and Transformation:…. Oklahoma University’s MALS program will host the conference. Details will be coming your way shortly.
Deborah Finkel, PhD
Director, MIS Program
Indiana University Southeast