The Association provides services to its members, as well as colleges and universities seeking to establish Graduate Liberal Studies programs, and students seeking information about existing programs. Such services include:
The AGLSP offers a selection of resources for directors of GLS program: compilations of core and interdisciplinary course syllabi, program data from recent member surveys, and the guidebook for directors.
Confluence: The Journal of Graduate Liberal Studies
Confluence: The Journal of Graduate Liberal Studies is an interdisciplinary journal dedicated to the publication of scholarly and creative works by students, faculty, and graduates of GLS programs.
Published biannually, Confluence features nonfiction, fiction, poetry and other creative work and reviews of books of special interest to the GLS community. The editors of Confluence also sponsor two writing awards annually to students and recent alumni of GLS member programs: for excellence in creative writing and for excellence in interdisciplinary writing.
Subscription Inquiries: Direct subscription inquiries to Editor Ken Smith, 3107 Wiekamp Hall, Indiana University South Bend, South Bend, IN 46634; email firstname.lastname@example.org; 574-520-4173.
Annual Faculty Award
The AGLSP Annual Faculty Award was established by the Association’s Board of Directors in 1991. The award recognizes an outstanding faculty member in an AGLSP Full Member institution, who exemplifies the qualities of interdisciplinary, liberal learning, and who has participated significantly in teaching, mentoring, and/or advising students, or actively participated in other faculty service in a GLS program. Recent recipients are:
- 2013 – Professor Paula Marks, St. Edward’s University
- 2012 – Professor Klaus J. Milich, Dartmouth College
- 2011 – Professor Sheldon Solomon, Skidmore College
- 2010 – Professor Terrence P. Reynolds, Georgetown University
- 2008 – Professor Rick Halperin, Southern Methodist University
- 2007 – Professor J.Thomas Cook, Rollins College
- 2006 – Professor DonnaMae J. Gustafson, University of Minnesota
- 2005 – Professor Lawrence Sutin, Hamline University
- 2004 – Professor Carole Shaffer-Koros, Kean University
Nominations for the 2013 award are due March 31, 2014. Download 2014 Annual Faculty Award guidelines.
Outstanding Contribution Award
The Outstanding Contribution Award, established by the Board in 2005, recognizes an outstanding faculty member, program director, or administrator from a Full Member institution of the AGLSP who has established an extraordinary record of long-term leadership, advocacy, and commitment to Graduate Liberal Studies. The award celebrates a lifetime record of achievement that has significantly advanced the mission of interdisciplinary graduate education regionally, nationally, or internationally. This honor is awarded by the Board. Recent recipients are:
- 2007 – Dr. R. Barry Levis, Rollins College
- 2006 – Dr. Phyllis O’Callaghan, Georgetown University
- 2005 – Dr. Charles R. Strain, DePaul University
2014 Annual Conference: Revolutions: Past, Present, and Future
October 9-11, 2014
Hosted by the University of Pennsylvania MLA Program and the Villanova University GLS Program
2013 Annual Conference: Urban Gateways: Immigration and the Global City
October 10-12, 2013
Hosted by the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies Program, DePaul University
2012 Annual Conference: The Crisis of the Book: Worlds of Opportunity, Worlds of Change
October 18-20, 2012
Hosted by the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies Program, Reed College
2011 Annual Conference: Source of Strife and Life: Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Water
October 13-15, 2011
Saratoga Springs, NY
Hosted by the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies Program, Skidmore College
2010 Annual Conference: The Transformation of the 21st Century City
October 7-9, 2010
Hosted by the Graduate Liberal Studies Program, Southern Methodist University
Latest News & Events
- Welcome New Members
- 2014 Annual Conference – Revolutions: Past, Present, and Future – Call for Papers Due June 1st!
- Annual Faculty Award – Nominations Due March 31, 2014!
- Confluence Writing Award Recipients
- USC Urban Biology Course Visits Habitat Restoration Sites